Volunteer with the Eclipse
The 2024 Total Solar Eclipse will include a variety of events and activities over three days leading up to the eclipse on Monday, April 8, 2024. Volunteers will be needed in many roles including: hospitality, information stations, check-in, setting up and tearing down, ticketing, and more. Volunteer opportunities will include a variety of locations (indoor and outdoor), days, and times.
Volunteers will get:
- Access to special events and experiences
- Special SIU Eclipse volunteer t-shirt
- Eclipse glasses (needed to view the eclipse except during totality)
- Tenure-track faculty may be able to count this as service towards tenure. See your academic unit for clarification and details.
- Employees who wish to volunteer during their scheduled work time should consult with their supervisor before signing up. Employees are not required to use benefit time to volunteer.
Basic knowledge of SIU is helpful, but not required. Training and resources will be provided. Volunteers will be asked to attend a training session (in-person and virtual options) the week before the Eclipse. Additional information will be provided as it becomes available.
SIU Carbondale Eclipse Volunteers
Use this link to view and sign up for volunteer shifts during events at SIU Carbondale Sunday, April 7 and Monday, April 8 (a limited number of volunteers are needed to load in for the Crossroads Astronomy, Science, and Technology Expo on Saturday, April 6).
The link above will take you to the general volunteer sign up page. From there, you can use the tabs at the top to navigate to other volunteer opportunities:
- General (Sunday-Monday)
- Info Tent (Sunday-Monday)
- Parking Volunteers (Monday only)
- Stadium Event Volunteers (Monday only)
- Art & Craft Fair (Sunday-Monday)
- CASTE (Crossroads Astronomy, Science, and Technology Expo) (Sunday-Monday)
- Sky Observers (Sunday only)
Eclipse Con will also need volunteers. There is a separate link to sign up for shifts during Eclipse Con, which takes place Saturday, April 6 and Sunday, April 7 at the Student Center: Eclipse Con Volunteers
In addition to the events on SIU’s main campus, there are other opportunities to volunteer:
City of Carbondale Eclipse Volunteers
Use the tabs at the top of the linked page to see other city event volunteer opportunities, including Eclipse on the Strip, Evergreen Park Campground, SpringFest Vendor Fair, Concert, and Carbondale Main Street Ambassador.
SIU Farms Observation Area
Volunteers needed to help with Gate Control and Hospitality at the SIU Farms Observation site.
STEM Education Research Center Volunteers
Volunteers needed to help with educational activities provided by the STEM Education Research Center. This includes the Crossroads Eclipse Research Workshop on Saturday, April 6, and the Crossroads Astronomy, Science, and Technology Expo on Sunday, April 7 and Monday, April 8.
Touch of Nature Eclipse Volunteers
Volunteers needed to facilitate activities, give directions, and assist with food preparation for Touch of Nature’s Eclipse guests. Guests will be spending the weekend (Saturday-Monday) at Touch of Nature for an all-inclusive camping experience. Shifts are available Thursday, April 4-Monday, April 8.